Way to build a Joomla site: I lately happened to possess a client approaching us to construct a mobile application. What must have been a reasonably quick job switched out right into a mid-sized development project. The main reason is They’d produced almost six custom components where articles might have offered the reason.
Another project would be a government site serving almost 50 million hits per month. That as well as a thing that I’d call a “blatant misuse of Joomla”. Over fifty percent of twelve extensions are produced for an array of things – PDFs, audio recordings, and videos. Articles could have been sufficient here too.
This motivated me to talk about some rules which I realized we had arrived at following for a long time but never got documented. So here’s our unwritten rulebook on Way to build a Joomla site.
Spend time thinking about information architecture
An excellent building requires a great architect. Similarly, an excellent site begins with architecting the information very well slot pragmatic. You should consider the kinds of content on the website – articles, documents, videos, etc. Essential would be to define may well grouping of content – eg: a company website might have situation studies, blogs, peoples’ profiles, and product/service information. You shouldn’t be afraid to create a golden compromise between a perfect structure and one that’s more maintainable.
Understand the fantastic CMS capabilities of Joomla
Joomla does cms very well, and it is crucial to know the abilities thoroughly to prevent rookie mistakes. Way to build a Joomla site A few of the key foundations from the CMS are
- Articles: This is where your content lives. Each article is typically one piece of content
- Custom Fields: It is possible to create additional fields for articles. These fields can be global or category-specific.
- Categories: Categories allow a nested way to store articles. An article can belong to a single category
- Tags: Tags are a way to add meaningful context and provide a common thread to link articles having a similar theme/topic
- Menus and layouts: Joomla provides several ways to present categories, tags, and articles to users. Get to know the menu types and what configuration each provides
Research about existing modules, components, plugins
The Joomla extensions directory lists some excellent extensions you can use to increase the abilities of Joomla. Make time to identify your requirements, and assess the available extensions prior to you making an option. Make certain the extension developer is active and it is releasing updates to avert being locked by having an extension that isn’t maintained.
Evaluate if you need any custom extensions
We view too many sites hurry or completely skip this and will continue to create custom extensions where articles might have sufficed the requirements. The 2 examples I spoke about at first both had this problem. Way to build a Joomla site The majority of the needs are addressed by designing the groups, tags, and fields properly. A couple of examples I’ve come across where custom components were produced unnecessarily
- A custom component was created just because there was a need to attach a PDF to each article. This is easily handled by adding a file upload/media field to articles
- A custom component was created to create a list of curated videos from youtube. This can be done by using a custom field that holds the Youtube URL
- A custom component was written since the articles also had a co-author. The co-author could simply have been from a custom field.
I am unable to stress enough how important it’s to prevent unnecessary utilization of custom extensions. They are able to generate unseen and unplanned maintenance effort, most of which includes
- If the search is needed, a search plugin needs to be built for the custom extension
- If tag support is needed, it needs to be integrated by a developer
Learn the Joomla menu system, layouts, and overrides
Joomla supports “layouts” – this can be a method to represent exactly the same listing of articles diversely. Articles in Joomla provide a “blog layout” which shows their email list with every item getting a picture, title, and intro text. Another layout is really a “list layout” that is a plain tabular list with only what they are called. Way to build a Joomla site You’ll be able to create another layout, say “card layout” to exhibit the articles inside a grid of cards.
It’s also easy to override existing layouts in situations you want to create modifications towards the layouts Joomla ships without really touching the main files. This helps to ensure that your changes aren’t lost when Joomla will get upgraded. However, it’s important to check your custom layout using the original after key upgrades to guarantee the overrides still work.
Benefits of minimizing extensions use
Using fewer extensions implies that upgrades continue being painless. Otherwise, there’s considerable time allocated to checking each extension’s compatibility. Wanton utilization of extensions may compromise the security and gratification of the site. I’ve come across several sites using a large number of extensions. Even unused ones are left inside. If you’re seriously interested in the website it is crucial to help keep the website maintainable by utilizing just the necessary extensions.
Have you got every other advice for site builders? Please tell us and we’d gladly include it!
Within the next part, we’ll cover more aspects like selecting a great host, a summary of must-have extensions, security, and gratifaction.